RE: [World] Fabricating a waiver for pre-existing scratches

Date Mon, 5 Dec 2005 11:25:05 -0500

I think Garys whole point here is that there needs to be greater effort in educating people about the problem rather than to simply find quick and easy outs for our own situations on a piece meal basis. Gary can correct me if I’m wrong but, while it is conceivable (however unlikely) that someone could get that far into a job without realizing the problem, I don’t think the figures he used were the point. I believe his point was that we need to stop working around the issue with our customers and start educating them.

If I were to thoroughly educate my customer (A-Z Construction Co.) about the problem of Fabricating Debris on certain glass … and that customer is a responsible contractor that wants to produce the best possible end product for their customer then perhaps they will start being more particular about the glass that window company A is selling them or start buying better quality glass from somewhere else.

If every window cleaner on this group did that on their next few CCUs and half of those customers understood and believed them and half of those heeded what they’d been told and started checking the windows delivered to their job site just think of the financial ramifications to the glass manufacturers as windows are being rejected by the builders. Eventually, the glass manufacturers will have to start producing better quality glass or they’re going to lose an awful lot of business to those competitors who do.

By educating our customers we could accomplish more than just protecting ourselves on one single job. That customer is now informed and will already be aware of the problem next time. Word will eventually spread (contractor to contractor … contractor associations etc…) enough that Fab Debris will be a more well known problem which would, in turn, help to force the glass manufacturers to turn out better quality product. In the end … perhaps it could even become something we don’t encounter very often.

I know that makes it all seem quick and easy and I also know that it wouldn’t happen that quickly … but it can happen … if the ball gets started and is kept rolling.

Michael D. Brinegar

President

Pride Master, Inc.

www.pridemaster.com